The Oakflat PWR Nuclear Power Plant Simulator is a 32-bit program designed for
Microsoft ® Windows XP (32-bit only, sp2 or higher) / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8.x that
simulates a pressurized light-water nuclear power plant. The user controls the
settings for the control rods, primary and secondary coolant pumps, damage
control teams, and emergency actions to maximize the amount of electricity
generated and profits earned. And be sure not to meltdown the core and cause a
catastrophe in the process.
The simulator can also be operated in a variety of automatic modes with the
computer setting the controls based on the reactor output. The user can
gradually take over control of the plant as they learn how to handle the
controls on their own. There is even a “Target Output” control that works like
an accelerator pedal, allowing the user to concentrate on the larger picture of
running the plant and letting the computer moderate the atomic reaction in the
Oakflat was designed to be enjoyed as game and not as real scientific device. It
was built using actual nuclear physics formulas, power plant designs, and
nuclear reactor user manuals, mostly available from
and the internet.
Program requires a minimum screen size of 1024 x 768
- Simulates a 1.5 GWe pressurized light-water nuclear reactor and adjoining power
- Control the reactor and the plant using the keyboard and/or the mouse,
interfacing with an intuitive and colorful interface.
- Users can enter settings such as control rod settings, coolant pump rates,
control bypass valves, reserve feed pump and reserve coolant pumps, damage
control, pressure release valves, reactor scrams, and more.
- Users can allow the computer to control the simulator or they can input control
values using a variety of methods.
- Refueling places spent fuel rods in wet storage for cooling before moving them
to long term storage in storage casks, just like real power plants.
- The results screen gives the user constant feedback on their performance with
financial numbers and days at specific output levels to help evaluate their
- The simulator can operate at 3 speeds and can be paused at any point preventing
users from losing control of the reactor.
- A log file keeps a detailed summary of all the events of the simulation for
- Audio feedback with predefined alarm sounds or optional speech mode with the
simulator talking to the user.
- Free upgrades to registered users for the life of the product ... No upgrade
Requires Microsoft ® Windows XP (32-bit only, sp2 or higher) / Vista / Windows 7 (32/64 bit) / Windows 8.x (32/64 bit) / Windows 10
ZIP file (12.2mb)
Oakflat PWR Nuclear Power Plant Simulator v3.34